Sunday, March 18, 2007

Forgot how to blog

(SIKE)

So I'm sitting on the plane looking out the window at brownish snow all over the ground, taking in the industrial wasteland surrounding me, and thinking about all the bradford pears in full bloom back home. I'm talking like brilliant white flowers all over these big trees, against the clearest bluest sky ever....and that one day I was driving down the highway and saw in the distance a mass of dark purple clouds right up against the neon green of new leaves on the trees--something I used to see every day during summers, the afternoon thunderstorm you can set your fucking watch by. And thinking, I remember standing there looking at those bradford pears against the blue sky and thinking how fucking gorgeous that was, and how shitty it would be to not have that all around me again....

Some country bumpkin in the seat behind me is looking out too, and she goes, "It's all dirty up here, at home everything's all pretty..... New York's tainted." Hilarious! and profound all at once. Kudos to the country bumpkin.

Ah well....I'll get used to it, which is maybe the sad part. I was feeling a familiar feeling, the same I do every time I come back to New York from home....to use MFB's phrase, "it's a real reset button." Every time I come back here from home it's as foreign and mysterious and exciting and promising as it was the first day I set foot in the city....

So I guess I'm cool with that. Plus, I miss people and stuff.... =)

4 comments:

ergo said...

the city is tainted. But I think that's part of what i like about it.

keNYC said...

true story. like i always say....i would rather walk along the dirty-ass streets of LES than park ave...

ldbug said...

I feel that way every time I leave Montana, it's like the rest of the world will never be quite so beautiful. It's all kinda dirty outside of home...

we missed you too! :-)

ergo said...

ldbug missed you.
i admit to nothing.
(nice to have you back, though)